Spiga

“I believe in the Red Cross principles”: Elisée Pierre, Red Cross volunteer turned staffer


 Gennike Mayers
“I was in philosophy class in 2007 when the Haitian Red Cross visited my high school for an information session. I made my first blood donation after that and have been giving blood every three months ever since.”

Today, 23-year-old Elisée Pierre is the assistant manager of a Red Cross warehouse in Port-au-Prince.

“Since the earthquake, lots of containers with humanitarian aid have been coming in from around the world. My job is to verify everything that enters the warehouse making sure that we receive what is written on the documents.”
Elisée is also completing his final year of a degree in interpreting at the International University of Haiti. It was his passion for foreign languages, coupled with his dedication as a volunteer that got the attention of Red Cross recruiters and landed him a job.

“I’ve always wanted to work with English and Spanish speakers, and I got the opportunity to do so with the Red Cross,” says Elisée. “My language skills are very useful in communicating with service providers and colleagues in the Dominican Republic where a lot of aid still transits. At the same time I’m helping to save lives.”

12 January

Elisée was in class when the earthquake hit. He recalls: “I got out of the building and my class mates followed me. After that, I headed home, but stopped to help people along the way.”

He remembers one family in particular – a man, a woman and their 16 year-old daughter he rescued from under the rubble of a house in Delmas 33, a suburb of Port-au-Prince. “I heard screams coming from inside a house. Some people helped me go inside and I was able to get them out. I was scared but I wanted to help.”

In the days following the earthquake, Elisée and his neighbours moved rubble, built small shelters with wood and tarpaulins, and assisted people who had been badly affected. He was soon called from the Haitian Red Cross asking him to report for volunteer duty. He went immediately. According to Pierre: “What really struck me during that period was the enthusiasm of volunteers. When we called around, people were happy to know that the Red Cross was gathering its forces to help.”

“My family had no problem with me being away. They understand that I’m a Red Cross volunteer and that I have a commitment to serve.”

Now, almost one year on from the earthquake, he pauses to reflect: “I have stayed with the Red Cross because I believe in the Red Cross principles. I enjoy humanitarian work and although I’m now a staff member and get paid for my work, I’m still a volunteer because I give blood and save lives.”
Today, 23-year-old Elisée Pierre is the assistant manager of a Red Cross warehouse in Port-au-Prince. (p-HTI1228)
“Since the earthquake, lots of containers with humanitarian aid have been coming in from around the world. My job is to verify everything that enters the warehouse making sure that we receive what is written on the documents.” (p-HTI1229)
Elisée is also completing his final year of a degree in interpreting at the International University of Haiti. (p-HTI1232)

0 komentar: